Monday, January 24, 2011

Red sky Boracay

IMG_5842

Last year I passed into the New Year in Boracay; this time around I gave the holiday a miss and came a few days afterwards. (Thus avoiding “super-peak season” prices.) There’s little to be said about Boracay that hasn’t been said before – or, more specifically, that I haven’t said before. Since my site was only a few hours from the island, and since some travelers used Iloilo City as the entrypoint to Boracay, I’ve said a lot about it. It’s too crowded. Too commercial. Too much of a non-Filipino enclave.

But it does have a pretty beach and good food and, like all beaches in the Philippines seem to do, it faces west.

IMG_5794IMG_5797IMG_5814
IMG_5820IMG_5833
IMG_5883

Boracay is at its best when sun, sand and waves are all that exist – or when they are complemented by young locals placing their carefully lighted candles into sand lanterns, or busily shuttling cockroach passengers along the beach in toy cars. There’s a lot of ugliness on the island, but it still shines on occasion.

IMG_5872

I knew this second goodbye to the Philippines would be more definite – I won’t be making another trip there anytime soon, though I certainly hope to get back someday. This time, unlike in November, I had a ticket back to the US. But I still had two weeks before I would be making that last series of flights home. In the meantime, I had one last country to explore, and a little after midnight on January 20 I touched down in Ho Chi Minh City to begin a long crawl up Vietnam’s coast.

1 comment:

~Lynn~ said...

I knew you would come around to appreciate Boracay, at least for the west-facing beach. Some people love it. Some people hate it. I hope the last few days of your travels are amazing.